[Sugar-devel] contribute towards "Beyond Flashcards"

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:17:54 EST 2016

Here is what I had in mind for this project:

I don't have too much as far as concrete ideas except to say that
programming is something engaging to kids and something that they can begin
to do before they are reading. My core idea would be to take Turtle Blocks
JS [1] and make a simplified version which included iconography as well as
words on each block and then to design a series of programming exercises
around narrative themes. The result would be both a graphic and a
text-based "story" about what the turtle did. Maybe the story can be read
aloud as well. So the kids write stories through programming. Since you can
have multiple turtles, you can have characters interacting as well.

Next steps would be for some feedback and concrete suggestions from you in
the form of a proposal.

regards.

-walter

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Shirsh Zibbu <zibs.shirsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.  Myself Shirsh Zibbu, a third year student of Bio Sciences and
> Mechanical from BITS Pilani, Pilani.
> I have gone through the ideas list for sugar labs gsoc2016 and would like
> to work on *Beyond Flashcards*.
> I have been working <https://github.com/zhirzh> with JS for 3 years, in
> conjunction with many more things. And as for this project, I'd like to get
> started as early as possible.

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org