[Sugar-devel] performance issues with Easeljs

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:28:04 EDT 2016

I've been using Easeljs for Turtle Blocks JS and have for the most part
been ignoring the performance issues. It works really well for separating
the blocks, buttons, etc. from the actual graphics drawn by the Turtle. But
I am at the point where the turtle graphics performance is not adequate.

The problem is, each time I draw, the accumulated rendering gets redrawn,
so over time, the turtle crawls along. Further, even when I first start
drawing, the performance is more than 100% slower than drawing directly to
the canvas.

I'm doing what I think it recommended practice by Easeljs:

turtleCanvas = new createjs.Shape();
stage.addChild(turtleCanvas);

various calls of the sort:

turtleCanvas.graphics.moveTo
turtleCanvas.grpahics.lineTo

I've trted using cache to cache the shape, but that seems to be even slower.

Just writing to the canvas context is much faster, but I don't know how to
combine the two worlds.

Any suggestions?

The code in question is in turtle.js in
github.com/walterbender/turtleblocksjs/js

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs