[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Go Social via Social Media (Proposal/Motion)

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 05:40:53 EDT 2016

I'm sorry, I don't see how SL can support a new paid position. My
suggestion would be to evaluate how the paid Translation Manager position
works out.

I'm glad Samson you are eager to work on social media (as I've said),
however I don't understand your marketing objectives. Put another way, just
what content, from where, will generate lots of likes and clicks, towards
what goal? I think the goal is developer recruitment, not for teachers or
education IT buyers, or small donors, or major donors. If they matter too,
do we use the same plan and tactics for them?

As I've said, I am opposed to associating random advertising with Sugar
Labs for negligeable income. We should really do Google AdGrants. This can
be done in cooperation with the SFC which is the nonprofit entity which
will qualify (and Dave - we shouldn't try to control their account for
this).

I am pleased there is motivation to work on PR, however major media tech
sites won't publish anything about us unless we have news, and right now we
don't. (Ifeanyi - it's not the case that buying ads from news sites will
generate coverage, that's not how journalists work.)

I'm not comfortable with the idea of creating a Facebook-only version of
Sugarizer (? if there are resources to do so?) - as fun and ubiquitous as
fb is, it's a proprietary environment with highly questionable privacy
policies. It's already possible to link to a public website from Facebook,
this would be far better.

The previous times I have raised these points they haven't been answered.
Perhaps the time has come for me to step away from Marketing/PR at SL and
let you guys reinvent the wheel.

Sean