[Sugar-devel] Are you using Sugar daily for your own education?

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:47:04 EDT 2016

Dave,

I don't use Sugar daily now, but a few years ago I did. I was looking for a
good way to read Project Gutenberg etexts and Kindles were going for $399.
That was the year of "Give One, Get One" and for the price of a Kindle I
could get an XO laptop for myself plus another for a child I would never
meet. It sounded like a good deal so I went for it.

The Read Activity in the XO only supported PDF's to begin with, which was a
disappointment. I decided to learn how to program the XO so I could make my
own ebook Activity and ended up making several, including one for plain
text files and two different ones for comic books in .cbz format. I also
made an Activity that made it easy to search for and download ebooks from
the Internet Archive.

Learning how to do this led me to write two manuals for the project: one on
programming Sugar Activities and a second one on finding and creating
ebooks. The first book was translated into Spanish by a team of volunteers,

I used my XO to read ebooks just about every day, I read some really
obscure ones like Edison's Conquest Of Mars by G. P. Serviss,

My manuals got published on Create Space and in the Kindle and Nook Stores,
and learning how to do that led to many other publishing writing and
publishing projects.

I haven't used my XO in a long time. Kindles and tablets got better and
cheaper, and my primary interest in the XO was as an e-reader so it got
left behind. However, it is fair to say that Sugar gave me a good
constructionist education and led to me doing a lot of interesting projects
that I would not have done otherwise. Considering that I am fifty years
older than the target audience for Sugar I'd have to say that's pretty good.

James Simmons