[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:34:44 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Devin <devin at ulibarri.website> wrote:

> (This is long, gnarly thread, but I just like to think about this sort of
> stuff, what can I say...)
>
> On 05/27/2016 09:05 AM, Walter Bender wrote:
>
> This has been the topic of a lot of discussion on the FOSS foundation list
> of late. I think there is a movement afoot to push them towards a default
> FOSS license.
>

> This is interesting: http://250bpm.com/blog:82
>
> Not sure I buy into the failed-state hypothesis, but it is interesting
nonetheless. I had proposed to Dan Ariely years ago that he try to design
some experiments to try to tease out under what circumstances people
participate in open culture/software libre projects. Would be interesting
to get some data about what is really motivating folks.

Meanwhile, we can/do choose to only accept FOSS-licensed contributions, so
it is a bit moot (unless requiring a license is somehow deterring
contributions).

-walter

> Shows a graph of decline of software published on GitHub with any license
> at all.
>
> I think a repo needs to make its users choose a license--any license--but
> should not publish publicly until a license has been chosen.
>
> The "default" is a suggestion for convenience. Defaults do have
> implications for what choices people make, but right now the "default" is
> "no license at all" (ambiguous to its community and legally proprietary).

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org
<http://www.sugarlabs.org>