[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Tue Jul 26 20:27:29 EDT 2016

El 26/07/16 a las 18:16, Dave Crossland escribió:

> > User facing features are at the application level. How they are
> implemented is only a detail. I'd rather have a paint app that
> collaborates, no matter how it is built. Currently we have none.
>
> The technology that Sugar platform offers to activity developers is
> what determines if they implement collaboration as a user facing
> feature. It seems to me that the current platform recommendation is
> for something that was experimental 10 years ago and has not matured
> in this time, so I am not surprised to hear central apps like paint
> don't implement features with it.

At the time perhaps a decision was required because the "platform"
needed to fit into 1GB of the XO1 nand flash.

In this case (because we are discussing Sugar/GTK), the "platform" is
all of GNU/Linux.

Perhaps the "official" recommendation should stay at the design / UI /
philosophical level. After all, as you say, Sugarizer uses something
different (that is...?).

> > It is part of our philosophy to promote collaboration - at all
> levels - open organizations, user freedom, git, wiki, etc.
>
> Right - so I think its worth considering the strategic context of the
> implementation details: )

Only if you are planning on implementing (and maintaining!) "it"...