[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 06:15:42 EDT 2016

Hi Lionel,

I like the experience that you have made with Sugarizer collab.  It is
very smooth!

I think that Sugar would probably do a few things differently though.
I want to support serverless collaboration.  I have a few reasons for
this:

*  Some friends go to the library after school to work on their
assignment.  They both connect to the library wifi.  Because they are
on the same wifi, they see each other highlighted in the neighbourhood
view.  They collaborate over LAN, giving them a significantly more
snappy experience.
*  The reduced latency also suppresses most of the edge cases in the
application that would have resulted in the documents getting out of
sync.
*  A group of teachers from a collection of schools (sometimes called a
"network") meet up for PL/PD.  Collab just works, even though they are
from different schools (which have different servers)

Do they seem reasonable?

Going a bit more in the weeds, I would probably make 1 change to the
neighboured model, compared to you great implementation!  My plan is
that every activity, public and private is boradcast on the server.
All broadcast activities share their "activity_id", but only the public
activities also share their title, type and description.  This would
let us make the "resume shared activity" feature work; resuming an
activity now becomes checking if the activity is broadcast then either
joining the broadcast activity or just resuming it normally.  I think
this is the type of experience users expect after things like google
docs.

Thanks,
Sam