[Sugar-devel] [sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3] [DISCUSS] Add abstraction layer for WebKit1/2 apis (#329)

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 05:43:40 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:
> Hi, Sam
>
> WebKit1 on 0.106 does not support flex-box. When you discuss
> 'reverting' but using WebKit2 api, it is not clear to me whether the
> OLPC version of Sugar will support modern CSS3 features.

OLPC os will *not* support WebKit2 on the XOs.  Quozl has said this
many times.

This patch was a hack - it let the python programmer pretend that
WebKit1 was WebKit2.  It did not actually run WebKit2 on the XO.  It
did not add flexbox support.

Just "reverting" this means the following:  upstream sugar will be
coded against WebKit2 - which is great for SoaS or Ubuntu users.  When
OLPC makes OLPC OS images, they will revert this commit and their
version will use WebKit1.  This is a better choice from a software
perspective, and it will *not* affect the UX.