[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Re: PR comments on 'Save as

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Jul 12 07:15:06 EDT 2016

Hi, Sam

Perhaps we are converging on an understanding. i'll try again.

My model of the alert is

Choose a name for your project  [               ]   save quit

If the user does not think the project is important enough to need a
name, the user clicks on quit (and the document is not saved). If the
document was important to the user, they will give it a name.

I am not sure what you did, but if you created a document and then quit
- it should not be in the Journal. However, the metadata object is there
because that is the current Sugar requirement for a record of the use of
the laptop. The intent is that, with a school server, the entry is saved
on the school server to form a log and the local copy is deleted.

One option is for the 'save as' feature to hide an object which does not
have an associated document with a name suppled by the user. If it
weren't for the desire to keep statistics, I would be very happy to have
it deleted.

I think this is getting repetitive, but let me repeat. The current
'autosave' writes on the resume handle. This is wrong. The 'save as'
feature creates a new jobject with a copy of the original's metadata.
The autosave still works as before.

Again to be repetitive. The user's action that triggered the alert was
to click on the Stop button. This button terminates the activity. So the
alert should offer two options save and quit. The first (with a title)
saves and quits. The second just quits. (Keep in mind, I 'grew up' with
punched cards).

I really don't know what you are proposing by only using part.

Tony