[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Re: PR comments on 'Save as

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 18:59:55 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Martin Dengler
<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> It seems to be nostalgia week. The goal is to have the user supply a
>> name. Whether the text says untitled, Write.activity, execrable, or
>> is left blank. The user will not be able to save until a title is
>> supplied. There would be literally no 'untitled' or 'Write.activity'
>> documents in the Journal.
>
> This design decision of not forcing the user to name an activity has
> literally
> been consciously made since the first deployment of Sugar:
>
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-October/009151.html
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3225
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-October/009157.html
> ("Sugar default naming scheme")
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-October/009152.html
>
> The has many nuances, so I don't want to be the penut gallery too
> much, but it
> seems to me that forcing kids to name activity instances upon
> closing[1] would
> seriously change (for the worse, IMO) the Sugar user experience.  The
> children
> I have observed using Sugar would for sure spend longer closing and
> switching
> between activities without any benefit from this modal alert. Is it
> only going
> to be some activities, like Write, that require (or default to) this?
>  Are you
> sure you want to undo/change these very old design decisions?

I agree with you.  I believe that there is a lot of value in reminding
the user to set a name - showing the alert as the current patch does.
But I don't think that we should force the user to set a name - they
will only set a bad name, and they will feel like Sugar is working
against them.

I think that the current implementation of the "Choose a name" alert is
fine.  It serves as a gentle reminder.

Here are some of my questions about the design:

I would also propose that the "cancel" button in the "choose a name"
alert change to being a "delete" button.  (This was my original
understadngin of the project).  Having a delete button there helps
reduce journal clutter by making it easy to delete the object if it is
un-needed.  For example, if I made a write activity to take a note, and
then decide that I don't want to keep it, I can just click "delete"
instead of setting a title.

What is the purpose of the "overwrite" alert?  I thought that the
overwhelmingly most common use case would just be saving (or
"overwriting").  Does overwrite seem a little scary?  It did to me.

Also, does the jobject get overwrite by the autosave functions in
Sugar, regardless of the user's choice in the overwrite alert?

Thanks,
Sam