[Sugar-devel] 2008 Sugar UX review slide deck + Journal Rethink

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:23:05 EDT 2016

Many of these ideas are already implemented. Sugar in 2008 was
significantly different to how is today.

About the Journal: the narrative view is difficult to implement from the
point of view of the localization.
The previews view was already implemented in the ObjectChooser, can be
implemented in the Journal.

Gonzalo

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for sharing this document.  There are lots of great designs in
> there.
>
> I like a lot of the little proposals, like hovering a notification to open
> it's palette.  That could be an achievable change for 110.
>
> The buddy view proposals are amazing in that document.  I would love to
> get them implemented some time.  Having a strong "buddy groups" system
> provide a good base for improving the teacher tools / LMS style tools in
> sugar.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Some of the ideas were implemented, although not necessarily in exactly
> the form specified, for example, image view. The idea of making the Journal
> more like a narrative stream was never quite fully specified, but I always
> liked that idea.
>
> FWIW, Eben prepared this document just as Nicholas was telling the board
> that OLPC was dropping Sugar for Windows, taking some of the wind out of
> our sails at the time.
>
> -walter
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> Reading more about the Sugar UX history I found this PDF:
>>

>> http://download.laptop.org/content/conf/20080520-country-wkshp/Presentations/OLPC%20Country%20Meeting%20-%20Day%202%20-%20May%2021st,%202008/Refining%20Sugar.pdf
>>
>> Interesting reading! :) I see that the suggested changes to the Journal
>> weren't implemented. Does anyone know why not? :)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Dave
>>

> --