[Sugar-devel] Working text to speech example needed

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 13:55:56 EST 2016

James,

I actually had some standalone programs in the MYOSA book. It looks like
the problem is with importing gst. I get this stack trace:

[jsimmons at olpc Adding_TTS_gtk3]$ ./gst_simple_example.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./gst_simple_example.py", line 24, in <module>
    import gst
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/__init__.py", line
193, in <module>
    from _gst import *
ImportError: could not import gobject (could not find _PyGObject_API object)

I have installed gstreamer-plugins-espeak:

Package gstreamer-plugins-espeak-0.4.0-7.fc23.x86_64 is already installed,
skipping.

The code I'm using is one of the examples written by Aleksey Lim:

import gi
gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0')
from gi.repository import Gtk
import gst

def gstmessage_cb(bus, message, pipe):
    if message.type in (gst.MESSAGE_EOS, gst.MESSAGE_ERROR):
        pipe.set_state(gst.STATE_NULL)

pipeline = 'espeak text="Hello, World!" ! autoaudiosink'
pipe = gst.parse_launch(pipeline)

bus = pipe.get_bus()
bus.add_signal_watch()
bus.connect('message', gstmessage_cb, pipe)

pipe.set_state(gst.STATE_PLAYING)

Gtk.main()

You can't get much simpler than that.

I'll keep looking at this, but my guess is that something didn't get
installed.

James Simmons