[Sugar-devel] Default Collaboration Server

Sam P. sam at sam.today
Mon Jan 18 05:14:18 EST 2016

Hi All,

Currently Sugar defaults to using "jabber.sugarlabs.org" as a collaboration
server in Sugar on a Stick and other GNU distros (fedora, debian, etc.).
However, I propose that we change the default (this release!) to use the
local network (telepathy salut).  This is a feature is that is already in
sugar, and is used on XOs and normal computers.

Why?

* Better activity support.  Tubes are supported by salut, but not by gabble
(server based collab.).  This means that activities that haven't been
ported this cycle (most of them) will still work under salut (proposed
default), but will not work under gabble (current default)

* More contextual neighbourhood view.  You only see people on your local
WiFi (or wired) network.  This is more helpful for finding your friends
than the trawling the crowded jabber.sugarlabs.org neighbourhood.

* More features.  File transfers work via salut, but not via
jabber.sugarlabs.org

* More speed and less lag.  Jabber.sugarlabs.org is hosted in the mit.
While that is good if you are a student at the mit, it is very laggy if you
are in say Australia.  I prefer near instant collaberation provided by my
local network.  Even if you are at the mit, your wifi router is still
closer than jabber.sugarlabs.org (hopefully)

* Privacy.  Users (specifically kids) aren't by default sharing their names
and colours online and inviting others to send them things.

Is this ok?  Will defaulting to use salut (local network) cause any issues
for anyone?  Is this ok for the 108 cycle?

Thanks,
Sam