[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Aug 18 19:08:57 EDT 2016

Hi Yash!

I just reviewed
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/work-product for the
pass criteria, which says:

Requirements

It must be easy to identify the work you have done. (i.e. the changes you
made or new code.)
When someone goes to the provided URL it should be crystal clear what work
you did without requiring them to do signifcant additional digging.
It should be in a stable location. It cannot be changed after submission.

I think
https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/commits?author=YashAgarwal
is pretty good for this :)

Someone else should be able to use the content at (or referenced from) the
target of the link to extend your work.

If your work is 100% complete, they should be able to use it.

If your work is not 100% complete, it should be clear what's left to do.

I am looking forward to the next .xo package, but it seems to me that the
work will not be 100% complete, meaning that it will not be possible for a
user to walk through the last user story we discussed on this list.

The page also says for mentors:

Please help your student do a proper code submission. It's important to do
this before the evaluation period.

Check that…

* The submission meets the requirements above.

* The code compiles.

* There's documentation of what and why.

The idea of GSoC isn't that students churn out code -- it's important that
the code be potentially useful to the hosting Open Source project.

Therefore I'd like to call a stop for coding after tomorrow's IRC meeting,
and for you to focus 100% on code and project documentation for the final
days of the GSOC job, so that it is clear what is left to do, and how the
code you have written works.

Cheers
Dave