[Sugar-devel] Sugar On Broadway?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Tue Apr 26 16:19:04 EDT 2016

El 26/04/16 a las 15:08, Manash Raja escribió:
> As Sebastian mentioned, it failed with segmentation fault. I then
> though of first applying Sebastian's patch to try it again before
> discussing it.

Great, focusing on activities first will make the effort simpler. The
pull request can be found at
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/315.

Once applied you can start sugar activities with the sugar-activity command.

First a minor issue was solved by the attached patch (BroadwayWindow
does not provide X11 wm hints).

You can start the activities with strace -o trace.txt and then look at
the trace file.
I took a quick look and, although I don't understand much, it appears
SugarExt is trying to get some X11 hints.
I suppose this can be conditionally ommitted at runtime (as done with
the attached rough patch).

> I am interested to work on this and I also mentioned Tony about it.
> So, I would be happy if I could help.
>
> A few doubts that I had were:
> 1) How and where will this feature be used.
At this stage it's still an experiment. But it could enable to run Sugar
activites on the web. Look for Open365.org for inspiration - perhaps we
could make Sugar365?

Such a project would need a larger effort until it can yield a usable
product. A real product would need some product design and a
sustainability strategy.

> 2) If we consider it for deployment, then I guess it would be same
> like Xephyr and Docker. In fact I also though of making a package for
> sugar in Docker.
Yes the reason to containerize would be to make the possibility to scale
a web solution like the above for N users.

>From my side this is only an experiment as I have not the means to take
it further, but I can work on it on a best effort basis, so your
enthusiasm is very welcome and inspirational.