[Sugar-devel] Lion Activity

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri Apr 22 15:37:43 EDT 2016

El 20/04/16 a las 22:28, Tony Anderson escribió:

Really the discussion is lost in personal archives if not copying at
least one mailing list. So I'm bringing sugar-devel back.

> In version 1, I would not expect to incorporate Virtaal. Activities
> are open-ended so this and anything else can be added.
> Since the intent is for this activity to be used by learners, we need
> to hide the technicalities as much as possible and expose the
> simplest interface to accomplish the task.

I agree with both.

//I stumbled on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:CScott#Desiderata_for_9.1.0 which is a
statement of design goals for Sugar before the new versioning scheme was
applied, by a person inside the OLPC team.

There are many interesting bits but one touching this subject says:

"Translation improvements

  * "multiple languages, multiple places": translation system should
    look in local, then activity, then system translation tables, then
    repeat for each in a set of fallback languages (eg, quechua,
    spanish, english)
  * separable translation packs
  * "click-to-translate": wiki-like editing of translatable labels in
    the UI"

So another idea is to propose it as a Sugar feature. I fear it would
involve design consensus which is hard from experience.

I like Tony's simplistic design (except the clever name). Developing it,
it would be smart to use Virtaal's library. It should save some work and
ensure compliance with standards.

> The basic server capability is already available. Essentially, the
> school server keeps an 'repository' of the activities in ASLO. A
> selected activity
> can be downloaded and installed on demand. With the exception of a
> priviliged 8 activities, an activity can also be erased to free space
> on the local
> store.

The workflow should include a simple way or instructions to submit
updated .po files upstream, the basis for inclusion in new releases.