[Sugar-devel] Vision

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Apr 20 23:34:03 EDT 2016

Hi!

On 20 April 2016 at 19:16, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 06:54:58PM -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to configure the swap to run on the SD card, which, if
> failing
> > due to thrashing, can easily be replaced?
>
> When OLPC OS on XO-1 is installed on SD card, the swap partition is on
> SD card automatically.

The installer only touches a single logical disk?

When it is installed on the SD disk, what is the general performance
difference with the onboard disk?

And, when installed on SD disk, how the onboard disk used from within Sugar
(if at all)?

> Because /var/swap is created from /dev/zero
> during olpc-os-builder, is compressed to nearly nothing by the image
> generation, and then expanded during install.  Be assured that the
> string of zeros comes from the build host and is well travelled by the
> time you get to overwrite it during page outswap.

;)

> >             [3]https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/619
> >
> > I sympathise with Sam's request to discuss further; eg, perhaps there is
> > compromise by wrapping the decision to animate in an if/else block that
> checks
> > some cpuinfo in /proc, or if the number of running activities can be
> obtained
> > very cheaply through a len() call or something?
>
> Perhaps.  A fork is cheaper though.

There is a problem. Fixing that problem in a fork is a pity, I think,
because the mainline users may still suffer the problem.

I'm curious how big the delta is. Off the top of your head, how many such
patches are in the fork you are maintaining? :)

> >     As for what to do next; ideas are welcome, but here's a few;
> >
> >     - profiling, of startup, of interactive response, (i've used xdotool
> >       for interactive response tests),
> >
> > AWESOME! Could you make a screencast showing how to set this up?
>
> Was documented in some bugs and pull request discussions.

Found 'em! :)

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/614

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/520

I put in a stub PR for the developer docs, and will add to it over time
until its ready to merge :)

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/pull/81

> >     Although at this stage the interest in XO-1 should have degraded as
> >     the units have degraded, and any return on investment is doubtful.
> >
> > I'm not sure; even if the XO-1 units themselves are gone, the cheapest
> > computers will always be puny, either (non-)refurbished clunkers passed
> down to
> > kids, or $5 computers like the Raspbery Pi Zero.
> >
> > By optimizing for XO-1, we optimize for spending power of small
> > children.
>
> A phone will be cheaper to buy, own, and run.

Sugar Desktop doesn't run on phones, so I offer that this fact is not
relevant :)

>     Plenty of people left who whinge about XO-1, but ask them to test a
> >     patch or release and no response.
> >
> > Kindly, this is because you assume too much technical skills/experience
> on
> > their part, and I suspect that there is a "tact filter mismatch" per [4]
> > www.mit.edu/~jcb/tact.html :)
>
> No, I disagree.  If they truly needed what they were whinging for,
> they would figure out how to be more tactful.  e.g. by asking how to
> test.

Well, see later messages about this that arrived as I was drafting this
email :)

Best,
Dave