[Sugar-devel] Active development

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 18 12:07:37 EDT 2016

On 18.04.2016, at 17:28, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I spent a lot of time yesterday reading about the history of smalltalk, and it seems undervalued.
>
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/search?q=squeak&cat=all <http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/search?q=squeak&cat=all> only produces 1 result, etoys.

When OLPC development was started, Squeak was indeed considered as an implementation language, but ultimately Python was selected in the hope of tapping into the larger open-source community (the Smalltalk developer community is quite small compared to Python users). Alan even gave a keynote at Pycon but I don’t think it actually lead to a big influx of developers for Sugar.

Etoys has been pretty much the only non-Python activity for a very long time (I’m not sure if there is another one nowadays). See
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Low-level_Activity_API <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Low-level_Activity_API>

> Are any other activities written in squeak?

Very few, but yes:

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4054 <http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4054>
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4235 <http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4235>

… and some more at:
http://hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/

> Can other activities be made within etoys?

In Etoys you create projects, and there is a way to make a Sugar activity from a project, but that is more of an experimental feature, we never added a proper UI:

- Bert -