[Sugar-devel] Sugar-Server enhancement

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Sun Apr 17 22:59:50 EDT 2016

Hi Tony,

> On April 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
>

> Hi, Dave
>
> It is absurd for reasons I have specified the first time James made this
> statement.

Please don't use language such as 'absurd' please, I would personally find
that offensive if it were directed towards me or my ideas. You are not
gaining anything by doing that, just cutting down a skilled developer.

> The two scripts are in /usr/bin. They are invoked by the
> installed Sugar image.

That 'sugar' image was assembled by somebody who used the OLPC supplied
rpms, and are only available on the XOs, not on SoaS or to my knowledge
anywhere else.

> The scripts are enabled by
> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/The status is specified in
> /home/olpc/.sugar/defaults. I have in front of me an XO-1 with Build 85
> (Sugar 0.82.1). If has the two scripts in /usr/bin.

    ^^^^^^^^
Please tell me that this is not being deployed, and you are just comparing
old versions.

> This version used a file config in /home/olpc/.sugar/default (pre-dating
> gconf, let alone gsetting). This file contains:
>
> [Server]
> backup1 = SHC84201B0A at schoolserver.linuxtag:backup .
>
> The real problem is not the absurdity of claiming that ds_backup is not
> part of Sugar but that the statement attempts to close community
> discussion. I grant it may not be a capability important to James, but
> it is to me. I have great respect for James Cameron's technical
> capabilities. I can also understand if he does not feel that this
> feature scratches his itch (or serves the needs of his employer).
> However, this does not entitle him to impose his judgment on the
> community.

You are always free to roll your own image or alter preexisting images in
the fashion that you do now to add that functionality back if it
disappears. OSBuilder is your friend.

Jerry