[Sugar-devel] Sugar-Server enhancement

Manash Raja mpdmanash at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:14:25 EDT 2016

Hi Jerry,

Please don't forget jarabe/desktop/schoolserver.py is involved, I
> personally would prefer that code to be moved into control-panel/network.
> Others please chime with your thoughts on this one.

Yes, if register option is brought to network section, then it will provide
better space for managing multiple different XS servers.

Off topic, what steps did you take and how did you find the install?

I cloned the previous virtualbox install of XS server. The difference was
in the server ip address. Even though, I don't think it matters.
To clear a registration, Sugar only resets the backup-url field. Hence only
this field is used to differentiate between servers. Though it
also creates unique serial number and uuid and saves them along with the
server url at /home/.sugar/defualt/identifiers.
Hence it does not matter if we try to register to multiple XS or multiple
times to same XS.

Yes, idmgr should return that value once registered. This value is read by
> the olpc backup client backend to find its 'mothership' This would rpm
> would not be installed on SoaS.

Ya, idmgr returns 'succes, backupurl, backuppath, jabberserver'[1
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_Identity_Manager>] out of which only
backupurl and jabberserver is stored.

I was able to register multiple times from one Sugar on Fedora23 to one XS.
And the auth-server showed multiple entries for each containing
' pk_hash, serial, nickname, pubkey and full_name ' as its fields. Among
which only the serial differed. And this makes the backup-url
unique as it has the format "<serial>@<jabberserver>:backup".

So, I guess I would update the network section for a prototype (with
schoolserver.py code in network/model.py). Each XS server profile would
have backup-url, jabberserver, serial number, and uuid.On selecting a
server, the backup-url and jabberserver will be set in the schema while
the serial number and uuid will be set in corresponding filesinside
identifiers folder.

One issue that I found was that, when sugar registers at url
http://schoolserver, the jabberserver should return the same but rather it
returns
http://schoolserver.lan

Thanks