[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:59:18 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 1:59 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> This new capability is intended to eliminate the need for cygwin

No doubt MS likes any initiative against Red Hat. I think they want to
simplify server administration in a mixed-OS environment from a Windows
console (ssh, rsync and the like) which is why default (and apparently
only) permission profile is root.

By the way MS has a long history of distributing a Unix-compatible command
line. They purchased Interix in 1999 which later became Windows Services
for Unix, and there has been support for it until... Windows 10. The funny
part is, last time I checked about 8 years ago, there was GNU software in
the package yet MS did not provide the corresponding source code, in
violation of the license.

My default shell in Cygwin is GNU bash v4.3 and in my day job it's a boon
to inherit Windows drive mappings at the command line.

Sean