[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Apr 12 19:59:31 EDT 2016

Hi Sean,

We'll have to see. This new capability is intended to eliminate the need
for cygwin. I understood that Linux programs would be launched using a
Bash shell.
Naturally, Windows is unable to support the Unix/Linux permissions model
(it can't even support the NT model). However, Sugar normally operates
without a root password. This shouldn't be a serious problem as long as
the user does not access the internet from Sugar. Bash would not have
graphics, but as I understood it Bash would be used to launch Linux
programs which would presumably have access to a Window. This is a joint
venture between Canonical and Microsoft, AFIK.

Tony