[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 08:16:37 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> One development that seems to be ignored on these lists is Microsoft's
> announcement that it will support Bash on Windows 10. As I understand it,
> the goal is to be able to run Ubuntu programs on Windows 10 using a
> standard 'short-cut'. If so, it is possible that Sugar can run as a native
> Windows application within months.

I've been running bash (and gawk and other GNU tools, and ffmpeg, and
imagemagick, etc) on Windows for ten years now with the awesome cygwin
package. I'm not sure how the MS offer will improve on that. The beta
version has bad security for example (user permissions are root, within a
sandbox). My understanding is that these are commandline tools only, there
is no graphical support and none is planned. I'd like to be wrong.

Sean