[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOBS] Action needed on two issues

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Apr 11 09:44:13 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org>
wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Am not sure how the Conservancy can help us get better if we don't have
> our financial policies well defined.
>
> According to the published numbers (I'm attaching a Spreadsheet with the
> information published by you) for the last 4 years, ~80% (USD$26,400) of
> expenses are related to promotional travels/activities of a very reduced
> group of members.
>
> Only 4,13% (US$ 1,375) has been dedicated to development.

Thanks Laura for your thoughts and I see your perspective.  But it depends
how one defines development (program activities).  Grant documents specify
"program activities" to mean a whole lot more that software obviously, even
if programmers wish it were otherwise!  Sometimes travel (can) get us the
best bang-for-the-buck in program development, when community organics
blossom especially.  And Walter Bender has explained that he has offloaded
significant expenses to partner organizations, to the benefit of Sugar
Labs.  So please take seriously that developing a Turtle Art community was
the #2 goal of the TripAdvisor grant, and the investment needs to measured
against that goal.  As the defining documents of the TripAdvisor grant
specify:

"Sugar Labs will provide periodic reports as to its progress in its
internationalization efforts as well as document the scope and scale of the
creation of materials and levels of participation in Turtle Art Day(s), and
a measure of the impact of this program on the expansion of our user base
through metrics such as downloads, project uploads, and the level of
participation of teachers and students in our on-line fora. Sugar Labs will
also provide TripAdvisor with detailed reports on all spending."

"The Charity spends no less than 80% of its total expenses on program
activities that directly furthers the mission and goals of the
Charity...Annual Financial Statement will include, at a minimum, a
breakdown of expenses (e.g., salaries, travel, office expenses) that shows
what expenses were allocated to program, fundraising, and administrative
activities."

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance fulfills the above broad reporting
request/requirement and thank you for your spreadsheet which makes this
more colorful.  None of us are perfect, and if mistakes were made that
means we are human.  But we are trying, even despite not being paid (for
example I have never received a travel benefit or compensation from Sugar
Labs, nor has Haiti where I work, unlike Peru where you work).  In
conclusion, Sugar Labs is doing a much better job in the last couple months
of respecting the original intent of the TripAdvisor grant, particularly
once we (1) start spending on localization/internationalization which is
long overdue and (2) satisfy their reporting requests/requirements,
hopefully shared with Sugar's Community (where permitted) to re-inspire all.

You are quite correct we can and should become more deliberate with our
financials clarity / purpose, hence Caryl Bigenho & Dave Crossland's hard
work on the Financial Manager document below.  Those who have experience
which relatively-drama-free organizational budgeting (intentionality) are
asked to please assist them by refining their proposal right here -- so
that transparency is no longer just a buzzword in this neighborhood, but a
community practice/culture we learn together.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16jIFuZ9bX-Bv675BpA1KmcEcRcX4PRCOUEX0ICRUkOc

*Coherence towards increasingly united visions indeed!*

Adam Holt
Sugar Labs Oversight Board Liaison to SFConservancy.org

For Sugar Labs Community/Board to be able to make coherent decisions,