[Sugar-devel] Python is good - don't waste time (was Re:The future of Sugar on XO-1s)

Lionel Laské lionel at olpc-france.org
Sat Apr 9 10:41:59 EDT 2016

Hi Sebastian,

> Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:15:06 -0500
> From: Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
> To: Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com>, Tony Anderson
>         <tony_anderson at usa.net>
> Cc: sugar-devel <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Python is good - don't waste time (was Re:
>         The future of Sugar on XO-1s)
>
> I had a real interesting experience rooting my daugther's Fire Kids
> Edition that grandma gave for her bday.
> I rooted it once. But there was a program to auto update it and then it
> had an android 5 further locked down device. Found another root hack out
> of it and made sure to stop and completely remove the autoupdater. Most
> of this process had to be done offline otherwise the tablet would
> download updates and reboot locked.
> We removed all of the Amazon apps and installed only free software,
> including camera, gallery, file browser and home shell. There are nice
> android educational apps from f-droid (the only library/app store we
> have installed). The problem with Sugarizer as a shell is that it can
> only run sugarizer Activities (Sugar Web Activities) and not the Android
> apps. These activities are very limited on a first experience.
>
> You're right, running Android app from Sugarizer is a must have.
It's why I've imagined with Michaël the "Sugarizer OS" [1] project that
hopefully we'll could do during GSoC.
Sugarizer OS will take the place of the Google/Amazon Launcher so users
will be able to launch both Sugarizer and Android application.
I'm specifically interested by Android version of GCompris and Scratch JR.

> I'll try to file bugs as I observe the children play with paint for
> instance (which lacks very important undo functionality for instance).
> Mariana made a square and a house in TurtleJS but then it crashed. It
> seems to do that often and she has not figured out the Journal yet which
> is very well hidden.

What Sugarizer version are you using ?
Sugarizer Paint include an Undo feature, see here [2].

                Lionel.

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2016#Sugarizer
[2] http://server.sugarizer.org