[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri Apr 8 20:14:14 EDT 2016

Hi, Dave

This, of course, is a root problem which we have faced from the
beginning. OLPC's contract with the manufacturer was build-to-order.
This means the factory is setup to build XOs based on a minimum build
order. I think this is about 10,000 units. As a consequence, after G1G1,
it has never been possible for a sponsor to buy a small quantity. At
various times, OLPC had a policy to sell a minimum order (e.g. 100).
There is a website where you can inquire about a direct purchase. I have
heard reports that the terms are pay in advance with delivery at OLPC's
best efforts.

I have long dreamed of a sponsor who would buy 10000 XOs and then resell
them at cost to sponsors of deployments. Had Nicholas Negroponte done
that at G1G1 time, the outcome of this project would have been much
different. He, however, was only interested in country-level
deployments. Even Nepal was not big enough to interest OLPC.

Tony