[Sugar-devel] Terminal Activity strings

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:25:58 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 3:22 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 01:20:42AM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
>> Dear Sugar developers,
>>
>> The Terminal Activity is going to get a new version release in the
>> very near future.  [...]

>> Apparently in the course of the gtk3 port, some of these strings
>> went away
>>
>> Open New Tab
>> Close Tab
>> Previous Tab
>> Next Tab

> Yes, they went away, the functions were removed at that point,
> because the Gtk3 notebook widget includes those functions.

Thanks for the trail of breadcrumbs, I will chase those strings
upstream in our languages.

> It was discussed and reviewed at the time;
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2012-June/038188.html

>> I'd like to to ask whether we lost functionality along with the loss
>> of the strings about tabs.
>
> Yes, but I'm not worried.  We've ended up with mildly discoverable
> shortcuts instead.
>
>> Can we do anything to improve these strings?
>
> Remove the help text?  The Help button might activate the Help
> Activity instead, (shortcut alt+shift+h), the new home for in-activity
> help, but not sure if Help is in the translation infrastructure; it
> isn't in the pull-down menu on your referenced page!
>
> https://github.com/godiard/help-activity
>
> The Terminal section of Help Activity also needs a few updates; it is
> overly XO and Fedora specific.  I tried rewriting it yesterday, but
> couldn't bring myself to tell children to use pwd, ls, or rm.  ;-}
>
>> For instance, this one uses incorrect English grammar:
>> Locations: terminal.py:236
>>
>> List the content of a directory.

I'll submit a pull request with the minor tweak.

> Originating authors may not have been English as first language
> speakers.

Yes, we are fortunate to have such a diverse group of collaborators,
one of the primary reason we bother to maintain a lang-en project in
Pootle is to make sure new strings get a look by a localizer (usually
me).  Interestingly, lang en_GB was commonly re-purposed by OLPC
Australia for the orthographic variations, but if you have any
thoughts on whether or not we should have an en_AU project, I'd be
glad to hear them.

>> The plural form "contents" would be better in this string.  Admittedly
>> that by itself is a small thing and an easy fix, but I would like to
>> ask folks to look at this code to see if we cqn improve the i18n of
>> any strings.  Some of the help strings do not appear to be all that
>> helpful and it is not entirely clear if some would actually be
>> translated at all (e.g. cd).

I'm still a little concerned about whether the strings will achieve
their goal of being helpful, but that is lessened by their secondary
visibility

>> I would very much appreciate some additional eyes on this, keeping
>> translation in mind.
>
> Thanks for looking into this, hope I've helped.

You've been very helpful, Thank you.  The localizers have been
notified and we've got German and a first draft of Spanish already.
I'll make a manual github pull to land what PO updates we have once
Spanish is finalized, if that is okay.  I don't want to delay your
release unnecessarily, but I am of the opinion that Spanish is a
must-have.

cjl