[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] Sugar on Facebook app(Sugarizer)(sugar activities))

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Apr 7 09:38:18 EDT 2016

Hi

You are probably more familiar than I am with the facebook free basics
fiasco. Facebook seeks to establish itself as a grand gateway to what the
internet can do, and the software freedom movement yearns to make Facebook
obsolete. (eg, see
https://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2010/feb/10/highlights-eben-moglens-freedom-cloud-talk/
)

One of the ideas of Sugar is to raise awareness about the software freedom
movement, and as such, providing the full experience within the facebook
police-state playpark is an own-goal. We should reach people where they are
in the playpark and lead them out of it.

:)

On 7 April 2016 at 09:31, Vishal Batchu <vishalvenkat71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> I can see why you want to limit the app on facebook, but don't you think
> that it would be better if everyone could have the full sugar/sugarizer
> experience independent of where they are using it currently (facebook in
> this case)? If it is technically not possible to run the entire sugarizer
> app over there due to some limitations it is fine, but I would personally
> like it if sugar/sugarizer offered as much as possible on facebook as well.
> But then again, sugarizer itself has only a few activities as of now
> compared to Sugar, so I guess it would be limited in that way anyways.
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>> I think facebook app/game versions of sugar activities is smart
>> marketing, but I would suggest making them a little limited, to get people
>> hooked on them, and then telling people to upgrade to the main
>> http://server.sugarizer.org app to play the next level.

Cheers
Dave