[Sugar-devel] Python is good - don't waste time (was Re: The future of Sugar on XO-1s)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 6 09:29:23 EDT 2016

Quoting Dave Crossland (2016-04-06 14:42:57)
> On 6 April 2016 at 02:59, <sam at sam.today> wrote:
>
>> You can install GNU on a chromebook, you can install GNU on computer,
>> you can install GNU on some tablets.  Those are the pedagogic devices
>> of now and the future.  Those run faster with Gtk than with WebKit.
>

> Will devices running GNU and Sugar desktops get into the hands of most
> of the world's poor children in the next 10 years?

Devices *not* running GNU (and therefore Sugar desktop) are likely
devices not in the control of its owner.

Underlying question is therefore if it matters that the device "in the
hands" of those kids is in their own control or not.

Only if it does not matter is it relevant to consider throwing away the
work done developing Sugar-atop-a-POSIX-system and instead invest only
in developing Sugar-atop-a-web-browser.

 - Jonas