[Sugar-devel] Python is good - don't waste time (was Re: The future of Sugar on XO-1s)

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Apr 6 06:16:32 EDT 2016

My dream is that someone ports gnu/linux to run on low-cost tablets.
Rabi Karmacharya, with lots of experience, believes we need at least a
10in screen.
I think the tablet needs to be in a leather (or substantially
ruggedized) case with a keyboard (wired usb or wireless).

Suppose someone approached you with the idea of sponsoring a one laptop
per child deployment in the developing world. This would
require 200 laptops. What platform would you recommend?

How would an Android tablet work without any possibility of connection
to the internet?

I believe that a deployment is a system. Tediously, I have claimed the
essential need of a school server to provide the content which
is not available without the internet. The deployment must have a way to
charge the laptops and to power the server and its local network.

For me, the most difficult thing has been to find a way to inform
non-technical users on how to take good advantage of the laptops in the
absence of an on-site system adminstrator. Addressing the problem was
why I was so intrigued by the 'onboarding' idea. Typically, I get 1-2
weeks at a deployment per year. My model is a ball which needs a shove
periodically to counter friction and keep it moving.

Luckily there is no pressure to move away from standard software on the
server side (CentOS).

Tony