[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 3 21:40:33 EDT 2016

Hi Walter!

On 3 April 2016 at 20:27, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> This means we have no users engaging with Sugar Labs through bug
>>> reporting; and that's been my observation for some time.
>>>

>> I feel anxious to read this, and for me this is the primary reason I
>> propose consolidating the move to Github - to grow engagement.
>>
>> As a new contributor to this community, I find Sugar Labs' technical
>> development to be much more fragmented than other medium sized libre
>> software projects that I've contributed to (eg, Inkscape.) So I would like
>> to see it consolidated.
>>

> In part this is due to the nature of the project and the nature of our
> user/developer community. The desktop moved en-mass but Sugar activities
> have moved in fits and starts. Sugar has never hosted all of the Sugar
> activities, as many are developed in deployments and may or not be shared
> upstream.

Sure :)

The libre font community is similar; most projects use Github.com but some
use Gitlab.com or BitBucket.com or other 3rd party hosts, and some use
their own infrastructure. But there is not really any centralised
index/catalog/library of libre fonts.

For Activities, though, ASLO does seem to be the primary (if not the
central) index.

And the earlier discussion I read in the archives about including a repo
key in an activity's manifest sounds like really great step in this
direction, since it enables the migration to be measure and tracked to
completion.

> Also, arguably it was a mistake, but when we set up Sugar Labs, we tried
> to err on the side of decentralization and autonomy for developers and
> deployments. A benevolent dictator model might have resulted in less
> fragmentation, but perhaps less creativity. Water over the dam. But we
> should work towards making it easier to find source code, issues, etc.
> Thanks for pushing us on this... it often takes a new community member to
> get things moving.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the early set up of Sugar Labs
resulted in more creativity... Could you explain with an example or two of
something you think was creative and happened because of that set up?

I ask about this detail because I believe that how the early Sugar Labs was
set up (self-hosting central development infrastructure with Gitorious and
Trac instances) could now be done using an integrated code-and-issue host
(GitLab, Fossil, etc) and thus would not create any more or less
fragmentation than my proposed Sugar Labs Github set up will do.

The fragmentation that I can see is that migration to Github was made for
the desktop code but not activities or issues; and thus my goal is
consolidation.

Either strategy of landing on Github (as I recommend) or returning wholly
to SL infrastructure (as Devlin has just proposed) would meet that goal.

--
Cheers
Dave