[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Sun Apr 3 21:07:22 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have been following this thread. These are my two cents.

If it were me, I would have opted to keep everything on a server within
Sugar Labs' community's control.

Here is why:
1. Control. The community would be able to do what they wish with their
data. (the other benefits really come from this one)

2. Avoid "Lock in". Probably, now we think "we have the code, we can
pack our bags at any time we want", but as we use 3rd party services we
are investing more and more--and would probably be reluctant to move if
GitHub were to "go rogue" (advertisements, privacy problems, who knows
what they will think of next problems). Instead, we would probably just
adapt and adapt until--suddenly--the atmosphere became unbearable.

3. It occurs to me that, if we maintain an option to issue bug reports
anonymously (or even under an pseudonym) that we would be protecting
data of minors. I do not want to contribute much more to a world where
minors must identify themselves and thus all they say and do on the
internet at 13 yrs. old is available to people to see when they are 40
yrs. old.

This all being said, I have no technical know-how to fix the broken
system. And the reason I use GitHub is because that was the system that
was introduced to me. If the software on the Sugar server gets fixed, I
will happily participate in that one.

Well, 4. If we can fix the problem and try to improve whatever software
libre we are running server-side, we will be contributing to the
advancement of software libre tools for the entire community (even if we
are just filing bug reports, etc).

My two cents,

Devin