[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 3 20:32:35 EDT 2016

Hi Walter!

On 3 April 2016 at 09:04, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2 April 2016 at 22:21, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just asking (again) the other day
>>>

>> Can you provide a URL for where you asked about this? :)
>>

> I was asking in a private email with scg who maintains out trac instance.

Ah okay, cool :)

> if someone has an issue aggregation tool since our issues are scattered
>>> across multiple repositories. Presumably we are not the first to have
>>> bumped into this problem.
>>

>> I don't understand what you mean :)
>>
>> Assuming that Github is now the central hosting service for Sugar Labs, I
>> expect each logical sugar labs project that is 'official' to have its
>> central git repository hosted in the sugarlabs github organization, and to
>> have its own issue tracker.
>>
>> Since Github automatically places backlinks in issues that are referred
>> to by other issuer or PRs, it is relatively convenient to manage the set of
>> a github organization's per-repo issue trackers.
>>
>> Some free software projects even set up github projects solely to use the
>> issue tracker as a discussion forum, eg https://github.com/ipfs/faq/
>>
>> I believe that all github users that join a github organization will get
>> emailed every issue, pr, and comment for every github project within that
>> github organization.
>>
>> I would also assume that all non-github issue trackers would be
>> configured to prominently direct users to the new github url, and disallow
>> new issues, or simply to have their theme templates hide the 'new issue'
>> link, and eventually to be configured read only and then fully archived by
>> conversion to a static HTML site.

Here is the problem as I see it (and as Tony mentioned earlier). A large
> percentage of Sugar code (activity source) is not hosted on
> github.com/sugarlabs, although more and more of it is hosted on github.

That seems fine to me, since actively maintained code can be migrated to
Github.

Are there any other places in addition to git.sugarlabs.org and
github.com/sugarlabs?

> So many issues are not found in repos within the Sugar Labs "github"
> organization. How do developers hear about these issues? How do potential
> contributors search for these issues? How do users know where to post an
> issue?

I think all 3 questions are answered by co-ordinating a consolidating
migration to Github :)

1. Notification. This is handled due to the way that Github org membership
works; Github-users in a 'developers' Github-team within the
Github-organization will be emailed all posts to all repos that are added
to that team (done here, http://imgur.com/gUTNFfV)

2. Search. Github provides org-wide search, and this is discoverable when
you visit github.com/sugarlabs the search input widget at the top changes
to show that the search is scoped to that organization. After entering a
search query, a familiar search syntax is used in the query, and in the URL
string. Eg, https://github.com/search?q=org%3Afontforge+x11&type=Issues

3. Discoverability. I think that each repo should have its own issue
tracker, and so the url github.com/sugarlabs/activity-name/issues is
predictable. When a repo is moved to the github.com/sugarlabs org, a
checklist could be run over to ensure each activity's /README.md file (that
Github presents on github.com/sugarlabs/activity-name as processed
markdown) has explicit information about the issue tracker.

> If there was a mechanism for aggregating issues across multiple disperse
> repos, we could address most of my issues with migrating from trac.

For release management, I think Github doesn't discriminate between
aggregating a list of issues in 1 repo or 1 org or globally in Github.

I used Github in this way in FontForge release management when I was
contributing that labour, eg
https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues/2083

> This is not rocket science, but it is something someone has to build
> and/or maintain. (I just noted in a later thread that you suggest we clone
> all activity repos into the Sugar Labs organization which would address at
> least part of my concern. Still not sure how people search for issues
> across multiple repos.)

:)

> (One other trivial question about issues: is there a way to build a
> standardized system of issue tags across multiple repos in an automated
> way? I presume with the github API we could do it.)

I'm not sure, but at worst this would be part of the checklist to run
through when accepting a repo transfer into the sugarlabs org.

--
Cheers
Dave