[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sun Apr 3 02:02:16 EDT 2016

Welcome to the Sugar community (and its growing entropy)!

You are proposing, appropriately, a new way to handle version control
for Sugar.

There is documented procedure to add new activities or to update
activities on ASLO. This procedure is working with update notifications
in the ASLO mailing list. This process is independent (and ignorant of)
github. So your proposal is a change to current practice.

The separate tracking would be a byproduct of changing to a github based
procedure from our current practice (https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/) In my
experience all bugs/issues are reported here whether against a specific
Sugar activity (say Etoys) or against a component of Sugar.

I am not sure whether Sugar is supported as a desktop by all GNU
machines. In particular, 32-bit Ubuntu is not supported. Debian dropped
the Record activity because it does not use gstreamer1.0 or gtk3. This
is one of the eight protected activities which are considered essential
to a running Sugar. As far as I know, SOAS does not offer an 'install'
option.

You are right about the issue of which activity versions support which
Sugar releases. This is complicated by the factor that some ASLO entries
have more recent versions stored as 'earlier versions'. Someone needs to
grab the handle and set up an ASLO system that can identify which
activities work with which versions and make potentially multiple
versions visible in ASLO as necessary.

During the recent GCI, Walter Bender and some of the participants came
up with a scheme which allows an activity with a binary blob to identify
the XO model and configure with the appropriate blob at run-time. I
suspect there are activities which need this fix.

Tony