[Sugar-devel] System alerts ui in sugar

Sam P. sam at sam.today
Sat Oct 31 23:59:46 EDT 2015

Hi All,

In sugar, some subsystems need to show an alert to the user wherevever they
are.  Right now, we have 2 systems; the max activities limit and Quozl's
force power off alerts.  Currently these are alerts that show in some
places but not others.  They are not system wide alerts, so the user may
not always see them.  Plus there is too much code to make sure they are
visible in many places.  We also have a completely different implantation
for the full journal alert, which takes up the whole screen.  It is a mess
IMO.

I think that if we come up with a ui for this, then we can hopefully get
rid of duplicated code!

To get the conversation started, what about a simple idea.  Maybe we could
just have the alert (as in the long ones with buttons on the end) pop up
along the top of the screen and disable the frame.  We could give it a red
border of a massive shadow (like metacity loves) or something.  This would
block the user from accessing their activity toolbar, which would probably
make them look at it :)  See [1]

Thanks,
Sam

[1]:  http://people.sugarlabs.org/sam/sys-alert-idea.png