[Sugar-devel] XO-4 gerber files

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Nov 13 05:35:22 EST 2015

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 02:07:24AM -0500, abew1985 at phenetics.com
> wrote:
>> Does anyone have files for creating the XO-4 hardware? Our group
>> wants to do some experiments on the hardware? Is it possible to get
>> this?

Sounds like what your group are really interested in working with is
Open Source Hardware (OSHW): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSHW

Beware of the similar but more relaxed term "Open hardware" which may
have PDF files of print boards but lack source files for remodelling the
wiring of those boards (e.g. to adjust for obsolete components).

Also beware that an OSHW board may include non-OSHW parts.  E.g. the CPU
chip (or system-on-chip - SoC - chip) is rarely fully open, but also the
board may be (properly) branded as OSHW even though including another
smaller system-on-module (SoM) board which is not.

Quoting James Cameron (2015-11-13 09:10:10)
> Yes, we have the files, they are used by the factory.
>
> No, you can't have them, sorry.

In other words: The business model used for XO laptops does *not*
involve OSHW.

I believe no currently mass-produced laptops - neither sold on the open
market nor ear-market for governments of developing countries - are
OSHW.

The most promising projects on the horizon seems to be Olimex' OLinuXino
A64 Laptop idea
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/a64-olinuxino-oshw-64-bit-arm-diy-laptop-idea-update/
and Bunnies Novena and Heirloom projects
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?cat=28

 - Jonas