[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] Sugar all-hands meeting

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Thu May 28 00:25:46 EDT 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> I don't see how changing the communication media used for the meeting
> will get more people involved. In particular audio/video chat is worst
> than text
> when there are more people. But I agree we need more people in the
> meetings.

I am not saying every meeting needs to be video or voice; but it would be
good to have some variety once in a while.

There are a lot of minor details communicated in verbal and visual
communication that do not translate well to text.

>>    1. What is being done to attract new deployments, developers (besides
>>    GSoC) and project sponsors.
>>

>>    2. I would like to propose a "Sugar Ambassador" program similar to
>>    the Fedora one where less-technical members of the community could engage
>>    with other groups to figure out what they would need to use Sugar.  This
>>    does not necessarily mean that we need to fly them everywhere; but it would
>>    give us a good idea of what might be required to obtain gain certain types
>>    of deployments.
>>

> Did you think about run for a seat in the SLOB?
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/2014-2015-candidates

I have considered it, but there are two obstacles:

First, my current employer requires me to obtain permission from them to be
on the board of a non-profit.  This is not insurmountable, but likely
requires proving (amongst other things) that I can completely isolate Sugar
from anything my employer pays me to do for all hours that my employer pays
me to work.

Second, I would like to see some more public signs of organic growth
besides the Google events before I commit more than a few hours per week.
My available time outside of work is limited, and I have no intention of
providing free labor for someone's unknown "customer."