[Sugar-devel] Palette Animations

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Thu May 14 06:29:45 EDT 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 2:33 AM, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Gonzalo,
>
> I have a very different opinion to you. I think the current palette system
> works well for our needs. I think it has very little bugs considering it is
> so important, most bugs in the query you sent were not related to the
> actual palette system just related to palete content.

That is just because you didn't needed deal with that :)
Sorry, but I spent many hours fighting with that code, and can assure you
that we don't need add more functionality, but remove it.

> I also think gtk popovers are not what we need. Gtk popovers require Gtk
> 3.12, and sugar seems to require compatibility with 3.6 (f18). The gtk
> window based system is very flexiable; palettes/tooltips/toolbar popovers
> all in 1! I would also say we don't want the style of animation gnome has
> implimented. Even if we did, we could impliment it very quickly ourselfs as
> we have a more abstracted animation system and their animations require no
> size or other tricky info. (the biggest issue with my patch is reliabaly
> getting the width and height for the animation to animate to)

Is true that popovers is not a solution today, but looks like something we
can use in the future.
I want note that the popovers implementation was discussed in GUADEC 2012,
with Sugar developers erikos and manuq, who provided feedback to make them
work as our palettes.
About the animations, I wouldn't take that videos as a reference about how
the animations should look.

> I agree the gtk menu based system is pretty fail through. Maybe we should
> look at this as a design issue not a techinical one though. Why does it
> need to expand outwards with submenues? Could it expand downwards instead
> (like in the gnome power/user/network palette)?

I think the first step to simplify our palettes is remove the gtk menu
based.

One alternative is how you say, but then we need take care of the position
of the palette,
by example, palettes at the bottom of the screen, or items at the bottom in
the journal,
or what happen if you have many options (like many friends in "Send to...")

Another alternative is just open a modal window with the options,
like "Copy to..." open a window centered at the screen, modal,
with a title and the options. Android do something similar,
and that is what is proposed in #4768
I think that would be the easier and more expandable version.

Gonzalo