[Sugar-devel] New Fedora Spins Site

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 07:49:35 EDT 2015

The new site looks very nice!!!

Here is my attempt at some featured applications:

Understanding and Creating Content

* Write.  Make a story, poem, report or anything with write.  Use
formatting tools to add images or colors.  Work together with friends to
write together in real time.
* Labyrinth.  Put complex ideas on the computer.  Use Laybrinth activity to
mind map about new concepts, to explore new ideas or to reflect.
* FotoToon.  Use images and text to create comic strips.  FotoToon provides
many options to add motion, speech and though to creations.
* Paint.  Paint provides to tools to make artistic creations.  Use brushes,
stamps, shapes, text and images to create beautiful pictures.

Learn by Doing
----------------------

* Turtle Blocks.  Learn programming concepts with snap together blocks.
Create art, animations and interactive programs in a graphics focused
environment.
* Physics.  Create real life simulations using shapes, motors, ropes and
bolts to explore physics in the world.  Work collaboratively on your
simulation with friends.

Getting Technical
-------------------------

* Pippy.  Program applications in a simple yet powerful environment.  The
Python back end provides unlimited opportunities within a simple language
and environment.
* Develop.  Make Sugar activities within Sugar itself.  Develop provides
templates for new games, native and web activities as well as simple
environment to edit existing activities.

Exploring the Wide World
-------------------------------------

* Browse.  Access the internet with Browse activity.  Bookmark sites to
research with friends and save sessions to the Journal to keep organized.
* Get Books.  Download electronic books from all over the web.  Explore the
classics and modern books with ease.
* Read.  Explore reports, documents, books and comic books with Read
activity.  Bookmarking and commenting tools integrate with the Journal to
allow limitless possibilities.

I think we could use the activity icons for the icons.  Maybe we should
color them, but that would not be consistent with the reset of sugar sites
(aslo...).

Also, could we use a better screenshot?  I'm not sure what the policy is,
but the current one has no journal icons and therefore no color on the home
view.  Color is a good thing.

Thanks,
Sam

(I'm not sure we should mention collab, 'cause collab always seems to fail
on fedora over jabber.slo.  Bugs to look at for this new release!!!)