[Sugar-devel] Community XO software builds

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:55:51 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 12:04 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 10:28:06AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org> wrote:
>> > The obvious counterargument would be that a deployment might want
>> > to deploy your XO-Next (whatever it is) alongside existing XO
>> > laptops, allowing all of them to have the same configuration.
>>
>> From my memory of olpc-os-builder it was very modular and wouldn't be
>> hard to add dozens of different devices support to it.
>
> Yes, it would be straightforward to add commodity hardware support to
> olpc-os-builder.  Add kernel and boot loader.  Add some sort of
> installer.
>
> But we have SoaS, and SoaS works fine on commodity hardware, so why
> bother with olpc-os-builder?

Because same process for any and every device. A single process is a
good thing, it makes it easier to understand and get a consistent
configuration everywhere.

> Because olpc-update?  Nobody uses it.

The interesting thing here is that Atomic on Fedora would provide
everything that olpc-update was designed to do and it could make
upgrades between Fedora releases much easier and less of an issue with
regards to TLS. Plus probably a bunch of things that it currently
doesn't and it's upstream being actively developed, instead of home
brew, would likely ease the security updates issues mentioned
previously and easy pushing out of updates, caching updates for
bandwidth etc.