[Sugar-devel] GSoC projects - SOAS

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri Mar 20 00:06:28 EDT 2015

Hi,

Is this proposal to make SOAS a live stick capable of installing Sugar
on conventional systems (Trisquel, ...)?

We have a live version of this problem on the server side.

Jerry Vonau wrote a script mkusbinstall based on live-cd. OLE Nepal
switched to unetbootin for NEXS 6_31 (OS-7 on CentOS 6.4).
I have been trying to make this work cleanly with BERNIE - to no avail.

One problem is that the user needs to be root. This is not possible for
a script unless it is launched by a live user. Unetbootin is
a gui implementation.

What I am looking for is a way to make a bootable usb stick that is
ready to install XS without user having to supply any configuration
information (like path names to image or /dev for usb stick) - sort of
an all-in-one unetbootin.

The steps require formatting the usb device (as would be true for SOAS),
copying the image to the disk,  and running live_cd to create the
environment on the
usb stick.

In the SOAS case, the usb stick presumably runs live and has the option
to install for some target platforms.

Tony