[Sugar-devel] GSoC projects

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 19 20:49:26 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:25:55PM +0000, Iain Brown Douglas wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to make a thoughtful contribution.
> Perhaps you will forgive me if I brainstorm this a bit.

Yep, no worries.  Interesting, but you went off into areas I didn't
have any comment on.

I do have a comment on the accessibility of Sugar for new users ......

Because of this complexity you are trying to solve, bootable USB
drives are more trouble than they are worth.  Bootable media is more
of a purists approach for reasons of Sugar performance, and ease of
production by developers.

A different approach would be to provide a virtual machine _and_
virtualisation software _and_ all the necessary configuration files so
that the user is not exposed to the virtualisation.

Then it would be one big download in .exe format for Windows, and .dmg
format for Mac OS X.  The user would click on it and it would show
them Sugar after a short delay.

I know Thomas Gilliard has worked on some of the components of this,
in particular manually prepared virtual machine images, but it would
need to be a complete packaged solution, not a series of complex
fragments as it is now.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/