[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2015: Interactive JavaScript Shell

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Mar 10 05:58:41 EDT 2015

Hi, Sam

At this point, I am not sure how jquery would help. At the moment I lean
to making jsfiddler a link from the Browse Activity home page. That home
page resides at /home/olpc/.library_pages as I recall. So adding this
capability should not require any modification to Browse or to the Sugar
build.

Could you walk Richa through the GitHub process? I have no experience
with the GSOC and so don't know if they have a prescribed way to do this
or not.

My goal is to encourage learning of web technology with level 1 being
HTML and CSS and level 2, Javascript. The TurtleBlocks strategy does not
seem to help achieve either of these objectives. I am concerned that
SugarLabs and the community really has no model on how to move students
from block programming to text programming. For example, Python has a
'turtle' module which could be imported to a Python program. Maybe this
is a transition technique. At any rate, the immediate focus is HTML.

My intent is to support the XO with the Browse Activity (Webkit). I
realize the community is busy developing an HTML5 alternative to Python,
but that seems a long way from realistic deployment. It also seems
unnecessary for this project since all of these tools work in any
browser.  Trying to adapt to a touch screen environment without a
keyboard seems unconnected to the need to support the XO. It certainly
could be a second generation project.

The sad reality is that the verision of Webkit installed in Browse
doesn't really support responsive web techniques which we should want
learners to know and use. It may be necessary to install FIrefox on the
Gnome side to provide modern css tools.

I think your ideas on challenge based learning are on target. This is
what I had in mind for the Web Confusion project. One that appears
relevant is the
Wikiversity Web Design Challenges
(https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Web_Design/Web_design_challenges).
However, these projects appear beyond the immediate reach of our
deployments. One reality is that few of our users have access to the
internet and therefore have not been exposed to the range of web design
techniques that we experience every day.

I am working on a course based on Pocket HTML
(http://www.goer.org/HTML/) which is available via CC. At the javascript
level, I think Eloquent Javascript would be a good base and is also CC.

Tony