[Sugar-devel] GCI 2014 Wrapup

Sam P. sam at sam.today
Fri Jun 26 22:58:47 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Ignacio and I recently went to San Fransisco as our GCI 2014 prize [1].
San Francisco was a beautiful city and seeing Google (and a little Mozilla
and Twitter) was a really amazing experience.

But it wasn't just about San Fransisco.  Walter was also in San Fransisco
which was amazing [2].  It was great to be chat sugar in real life with
Walter and Ignacio.  Despite the very fun atmosphere of the trip, we even
managed to hack together on some productive things :)  Walter and I hacked
on the website a little (I'll smooth the edges of that soon so we can push
it), while Ignacio and Walter jammed on turtlejs.

The Google Code In was a great competition and opportunity for me (and
probably many other participants) to become involved with open source.  Of
course, thank you to Google for running it.

But thank you very much to everyone who mentored us during the GCI.  Thank
you to Gonzalo, Tch and Walter who hugely increased their code review
workloads to help teach us all how to participate in open source.  Thank
you to everyone who made it possible that we didn't just make "software for
learning children" but also a "software by learning children", because you
guys teach us so much.

Thanks,
Sam

[1] http://people.sugarlabs.org/sam/gci2014-2.jpeg