[Sugar-devel] Making Record support external cameras

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jun 9 19:55:27 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 12:00:46PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> In particular in the XO, with the camera I have for testing,
> no device is created, then I can't  test it.
>
> When I connect the camera, in /var/log/message I see:
>
>     kernel: usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
>     kernel: usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04fc, idProduct=0561
>     kernel: usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
>     kernel: usb 1-2: Product: Generic Digital camera
>     kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd.
>     kernel: gspca_main: spca561-2.14.0 probing 04fc:0561

gspca_main kernel module is needed, and is in the kernel.

gspca_spca561 kernel module is needed, but is not in the kernel.

Edit defconfig, search for CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA561, set =m, and
rebuild kernel.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Kernel_Building#Building_a_kernel_RPM

> If we can solve the device creation, we can make Record smarter
> monitoring the directory /sys/class/video4linux and adding the
> switch camera button if a new camera appear.

Also, I think system D-Bus message can appear on insert event.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/