[Sugar-devel] [Announcing] unstable 0.103.2 release and API, UI and String freeze.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jan 19 18:10:38 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 09:19:23AM +0000, Sam P. wrote:
> Hi James,
> On Sat Jan 17 2015 at 2:51:29 pm James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>     [...]
>     Tested on Fedora 20 on XO-4.
>
>     The autocomplete of activity name in search entry (2ac6c3c) does work,
>     though it can be disconcerting.  Perhaps it should mark the completion
>     as selected text, so that further typing will erase it.  Be a slow
>     typer and type "C l o c k" and you get "Clockock".
>
> Hum, how slow is a slow typer?  I need to be typing at about 2 chars
> per second, but what is it like on the XO4?

Children with developmental disabilities or in the early stage of
keyboard learning will type slowly enough to trigger this problem.  It
can be easily reproduced on an XO-4 by typing one key every two
seconds.  I'm happy for this to be the test case descriptor.

> I don't think that selecting the text is the right approach.  If I
> am a slow typer, I would appreciate the computer autocompleting me
> :)

I disagree.  I think selecting the completion is the right approach.
It is how Firefox handles the issue.

That way, when the user does not observe the completion, any further
typing will immediately erase the completion.

Perhaps you haven't understood what I mean.  Imagine this:

- empty field,

- press 'c', the 'c' appears,

- after one second delay, autocomplete is ambiguous (clock, chat,
  record, physics, stopwatch, calculate), so nothing further happens,

- press 'l', the 'l' appears,

- after one second delay, autocomplete is unambiguous, so 'ock' is
  added to the text, and 'ock' is to be highlighted as selected text,

- press 'o', the selected 'ock' is erased, and the 'o' appears,

- after one second delay, autocomplete is unambiguous, so 'ck' is
  added to the text, and 'ck' is highlighted as selected text,

At the moment, without a fix, 'Clocko' is in the field.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/