[Sugar-devel] Planning for the future (Samuel Greenfeld)

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 23:54:44 EST 2015

Hi,

+1

I think there are some ways to improve hardware independence.  Integrating
sugar with a display manager would make it work in many (traditional?) IT
situations where you have computers with networked student accounts.

Over the ensuing years, we have also made efforts to reach out in
other ways, some more successful than others: Sugar has been ported to
virtually every major flavor of GNU/Linux. As a community, it has been
difficult to support all of those efforts, but some, such as Trisquel,
rival Fedora, where we still do our development, in terms of
stability. (We have lagged behind in our Ubuntu support; given its
popularity this has been a tactical mistake.) We also initiated the
Sugar on a Stick and Sugar in a virtual machine efforts, which opened
the door to getting a taste of Sugar on iOS and MS Windows platforms.
These products have matured and are well maintained. In anticipation
of the tablet bubble, we added touch support to Sugar; (it works, but
the good news is that most people serious about using tablets for
learning are also including keyboards these days.) Sugar also runs
nicely on Chromebooks, which are making some inroads into the
classroom.

 Yeah, ubuntu is a big issue!

And, as Lionel mentioned, already three years ago we began in earnest
an effort to support Javascript as a first order language in Sugar so
as to both invite a broader community of developers in and being to
offer Sugar activities to users of web browsers and Android
(eventually iPhone) devices. Lionel has expanded upon that effort to
try to offer the whole Sugar experience, not just individual
activities. This work is on-going and is the focus of our proposal to
Google Summer of Code 2015.

 Yeah this is a really awesome movement.  Just throwing around another
opportunity idea, sugar activities are written in GTK, meaning it would be
possible to make sugar activities work inside GNOME (or other DEs) as
windows. Turtle does this, but it would be cool to expand this to a general
library (#GSOC?).

TB becoming a spin out is a great way to widen sugar's reach.  Tb is an
awesome "first step" towards coding, and export to python and stuff are
great features that help in a further intro to coding.

And it is worth noting that 50% of the patches in the latest Sugar
release came from kids.

 Yeah, but did 50% of the ideas come from users?

All of that said, our future is far from clear. OLPC and OLPC
deployments have been the largest source of funding, albeit erratic,
for Sugar development and maintenance. (We continue to get some
funding from Google, Trip Advisor, et al., but these $s are not
general funds for supporting developers and code maintenance.) It
seems that the OLPC well is running dry (We have a few proposals
circulating but none in hand at the moment.) We've gotten little
support from other hardware vendors, I believe in part because many of
them still see Sugar Labs as an extension of OLPC, with whom they were
competing.

 Well why not do a needles ui/design change :). It would probably change
people's perception if we changed the xo icon or something (a la android 5)
and made ourselves less look connected to olpc.  Not something to rush out
and do without thinking, not something that we should waste development
time on either, but an idea.

So either Sugar Labs finds support for the core development team to
remain focused full-time on Sugar or we scale back our release cycle
to one that can be managed entirely by part-time volunteers.

There are opportunities out there: for example, partnering with some
of the classroom management solutions; finding funding for specific
programs, such as Turtle Blocks, and finding more hardware partners.
Meanwhile, we also need to keep Sugar relevant. I take the long view
there, in that I think the core pedagogical ideas in Sugar are sound
and that over time we'll be better situated to get these ideas into
the hands of learners. (For example, Android is becoming more
Sugar-friendly as it evolves.)

Some of the reflection ideas that OLPC AU was pushing seemed really great.
Hopefully they can get implemented.

But I think whatever path we follow, consultation is the most important.
One issue OLPCs and sugarlabs seems to have is the lack of consultation
with students and teachers.  It is great that we have some educational idea
or have read some paper about education that an 'expert' has written,
however we are making an OS for students and teachers.  If the OS isn't
helping students or if it confuses teachers, then what good is it really
doing?  We can load sugar with data collection tools and what not, but
nothing replaces talking to teachers, watching how they use sugar, and
asking what they want changed.

In fact this is not unique to Sugar and OLPC.  I am yet to use edutech at
my school that feels like it was built for and WITH schools.  It feels
locked up and controlled by visual designers and corporate managers that
don't know the needs of schools.  Though sugar is open source, that is
probably how it feels to those who can't code or change its source.

I passionately believe that even if an edutech product can sell more copies
by targeting features to appeal to principals and other decision makers
instead of teachers, you can't improve anything that way.  I feel there is
a huge opportunity for Sugar (or anyone else) to work with teachers and
students to enhance their learning.  Having built the product with schools
could be the 'killer feature'.

The Sugar Oversight Board agreed to host a summit on the future of
Sugar some time in the coming months. We've been doing some
preparatory work and hope to get something scheduled soon.

Great.  I really hope you get a bunch of teachers and students (that use
sugar) who have never been involved in the development of sugar, and get
them to guide the thinking.

We don't code sugar to enjoy running a software project, do we?  Don't we
code sugar to make these people smile every time they open their laptops?
That's what I do :)

Thanks,
Sam

Meanwhile, let's keep kicking around ideas here.

regards.

-walter

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 4:10 AM, Lionel Laské <lionel at olpc-france.org>
wrote:

> Hi Samuel,
>

> Thanks to share your vision. I think you're right, SugarLabs lack of a
clear
> long-term vision that we could share with all contributors. Hope that your
> mail we'll give us opportunity to share our thought on that.
>
> Here's mine.
>

> If Sugar want live, it can't be limited to a niche platform: neither the
XO,
> [...]
>

> So the question is how we could answer to requests for these new platforms
> thought keeping our roots: an unique UI for children, a reflection tool
> (Journal), a collaborative platform (Presence) and the most important -
free
> an open source contents.
>

> My point of view is that we must not invest time to think how we could be
> compliant with a new platform, we need to think in another way: how we
could
> port Sugar on Any platform ? Any computer (from the bigger one to the tiny
> one: raspberryPI), any laptop, any tablet, any mobile.
>

> And the answer is simple: web technologies allow every device to run very
> complex software. It's the only solution to be compliant with any device.
> It's where we need to put our investments.
>

> It's why I've got a personal engagement on Sugar for the Web from years:
>
> First to allow Sugar activities to be written using web technologies. From
> Sugar 0.100 thanks to Sugar Web, every developer could write new Sugar
> activities using exclusively HTML5/JavaScript - without any line of
> Python/Gtk.
> Second to create a Sugar container for the web - named Sugarizer - that
> could host any Sugar Web activities and that reproduce the unique Sugar
> features: Sugar UI, Journal and Presence.
>

> Sugar for the Web is not the Sugar successor, Sugar for the Web is a way
> do a transition from Sugar for the XO to an universal version of Sugar
that
> could run on any device so that could be used by any children anywhere on
> the world.
>
> Most important with Sugar for the Web we don't leave alone our current
base
> of Sugar users, with Sugar 0.100+: any new Sugar Web activities will be
> usable both on Sugar on "old" devices and Sugar on new devices.
>

> With Sugarizer and Sugar Web, Sugar for any device already exist. But to
> become a reality, we need to invest more on it:
>
> Have a clear roadmap of transition between "old" Sugar activities to Sugar
> Web activities.
> Convince a more important community to join us. Sugar is the better
learning
> platform, with Sugar for the Web, it should be easy to convince other
> communities to help us. I think specifically to Mozilla because they have
> clear engagement on web and open source and Google because of their wish
> embrace education with Chrome. We need to ask help from them.
> Experiment: we need to start deployment as soon as possible to
demonstrate.
> At OLPC France, we've got ambition to start a first experimental
deployment
> of Sugarizer before the end of the year.
>

> All of us spent years on promoting the Sugar philosophy. We have the
choice
> to look backward or look forward. My choice is clear: with Sugar for the
Web

<hQOu47mHMr9AQtNBzKRmjDb00nxbzENnBO%2B1WKvdA at mail.gmail.com>
+1WKvdA at mail.gmail.com
<hQOu47mHMr9AQtNBzKRmjDb00nxbzENnBO%2B1WKvdA at mail.gmail.com>>

>> Disclaimer: The following are my views, and not the views of my current
or
>> past employers.
>>
>> About a year ago, I privately expressed concern that Sugar needed to
>> ensure
>> it had long-term sponsorship and a long-term user base.
>>
>> Since then, both the historical US-based OLPC organization and Sugar Labs
>> have not publicly said much about their long-term plans, with OLPC also
>> being rather closemouthed about the present.
>>
>> Meanwhile contributors silently leave.  It is hard to justify
volunteering
>> when you don't know who will benefit besides mysterious "customers."
>>
>> Everyone seems happy to cite their past successes.  No one corrects the
>> press when they report stale information in their favor.
>>

>> There is no shame in being a smaller project.  But we need to ask the
hard
>> questions.  With Sugar, getting users and developers for a niche platform
>> is a problem.  With OLPC, everyone seems to love repeating the 2 or 2.5
>> million number for laptops historically shipped.  Rarely is it asked how
>> many XOs been shipped in the past year or are in active use & where.
>>
>> Sugar & OLPC need to come up with long-term strategies.  While there is
>> nothing public I have seen stopping One Education's XO Infinity from
>> running Sugar, I haven't seen anything stopping it from running anything
>> else.  It is also unclear how much One Education is willing to engage
with
>> the historical Sugar & OLPC communities (or how much they can tell us at
>> this time).
>>

>> Historically there have been many philosophical questions like "Does
there
>> need to be a physical machine?" and "Have we succeeded if every child has
>> computer, but from someone else?"
>>
>> I do not believe Sugar or OLPC is down for the count.  But in order to
>> engage One Education, governments, and other educational groups, both
>> Sugar
>> and the historical OLPC structure need to have plans to transition to the
>> future.  Otherwise these plans will be written for us.
>>
>> I suspect I know how things will end; but I wish it was not happening
>> though silence.
>>
>> ---
>> SJG
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150223/bc9915cb/attachment-0001.html>
lists.sugarlabs.org
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150223/bc9915cb/attachment-0001.html>
/archive/iaep/attachments/20150223/bc9915cb/
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150223/bc9915cb/attachment-0001.html>
attachment-0001.html
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150223/bc9915cb/attachment-0001.html>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 02:31:23 -0300
>> From: Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
>> To: Sora Edwards-Thro <sora at unleashkids.org>
>> Cc: Chris Leonard <cjl at sugarlabs.org>, grassroots
>>         <grassroots at lists.laptop.org>,  olpc-open
>> <olpc-open at lists.laptop.org>,
>>         Aaron Borden <adborden at live.com>,       olpc-sf
>> <olpc-sf at lists.laptop.org>,
>>         iaep <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>,        Nick Doiron
>> <ndoiron at mapmeld.com>
>> Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting
>> <CAJ+iPVSKb3puCeQc57Kc3TUA4Df1=AkVtwdPT0abj-aQrUHYqA at mail.gmail.com>
>>
>> Only a English version is available right now.
>>
>> There are another activity with a older version in French, but the last
>> version is from 2009
>> http:// <http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4195>
activities.sugarlabs.org
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4195>/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4195>en-US
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4195>/sugar/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4195>addon
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4195>/4195

<sora at unleashkids.org>unleashkids.org <sora at unleashkids.org>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Gonzalo, if a French translation exists and it's easy to include both
it
>> > and the English translations when making the templates, that would be
>> > great. But if there's only room for one language, please have it be
>> > English.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

wiki.laptop.org <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Haiti_Course_Guide>
/go/Haiti_Course_Guide <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Haiti_Course_Guide>> to
help teachers

activities.sugarlabs.org
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4051>/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4051>en-US
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4051>/sugar/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4051>addon
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4051>/4051
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4051>

extremely-relevant

activities.sugarlabs.org
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4565>/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4565>es-ES
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4565>/sugar/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4565>addon
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4565>/4565
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4565>

<http://www.unleashkids.org/blog/>/blog/ <http://www.unleashkids.org/blog/>>
for our iloominate
iloominate-haiti.herokuapp.com <http://iloominate-haiti.herokuapp.com/edit>
/edit <http://iloominate-haiti.herokuapp.com/edit>> app (shout-out to

<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/lascahobas-workshops-final-review/>
://
<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/lascahobas-workshops-final-review/>
projectrive.wordpress.com
<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/lascahobas-workshops-final-review/>
/2014/12/27/
/
<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/lascahobas-workshops-final-review/>

<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>
activities.sugarlabs.org
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>en-US
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>/sugar/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>addon
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>/4078
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4078>>, a

<http://www.unleashkids.org/2013/07/31/story-activity-continued-and-the-results/>
www.unleashkids.org
<http://www.unleashkids.org/2013/07/31/story-activity-continued-and-the-results/>
/2013/07/31/
<http://www.unleashkids.org/2013/07/31/story-activity-continued-and-the-results/>
story-activity-continued-and-the-results
<http://www.unleashkids.org/2013/07/31/story-activity-continued-and-the-results/>
/
<http://www.unleashkids.org/2013/07/31/story-activity-continued-and-the-results/>

<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4253>
activities.sugarlabs.org
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4253>/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4253>en-US
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4253>/sugar/
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4253>addon
<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4253>/4253

<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/first-week-of-classes/>://
<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/first-week-of-classes/>
projectrive.wordpress.com
<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/first-week-of-classes/>
/2013/08/16/
<https://projectrive.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/first-week-of-classes/>
first-week-of-classes
seeta.in <http://seeta.in/j/products/37.html>/j/products/37.html
<http://seeta.in/j/products/37.html>>, an example of

<http://blog.unleashkids.org/2013/08/01/journal-mission-of-hope/>
blog.unleashkids.org
<http://blog.unleashkids.org/2013/08/01/journal-mission-of-hope/>
/2013/08/01/
<http://blog.unleashkids.org/2013/08/01/journal-mission-of-hope/>
journal-mission-of-hope
<http://blog.unleashkids.org/2013/08/01/journal-mission-of-hope/>/
<http://blog.unleashkids.org/2013/08/01/journal-mission-of-hope/>>
<http://olpc-yokwe.tumblr.com/post/39897602954/prompt-activity>
olpc-yokwe.tumblr.com
<http://olpc-yokwe.tumblr.com/post/39897602954/prompt-activity>
/post/39897602954/
<http://olpc-yokwe.tumblr.com/post/39897602954/prompt-activity>
prompt-activity

<https://www.facebook.com/events/325843320953044/>://
<https://www.facebook.com/events/325843320953044/>www.facebook.com
<https://www.facebook.com/events/325843320953044/>/events/325843320953044/
<https://plus.google.com/events/crf7g4e84aag78ssn761danaj8s>://
<https://plus.google.com/events/crf7g4e84aag78ssn761danaj8s>plus.google.com
<https://plus.google.com/events/crf7g4e84aag78ssn761danaj8s>
/events/crf7g4e84aag78ssn761danaj8s
<https://plus.google.com/events/crf7g4e84aag78ssn761danaj8s>

>> --
>> Gonzalo Odiard
>>
>> SugarLabs - Software for children learning
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150224/46e24159/attachment.html>
lists.sugarlabs.org
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150224/46e24159/attachment.html>
/archive/iaep/attachments/20150224/46e24159/
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150224/46e24159/attachment.html>
attachment.html
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/attachments/20150224/46e24159/attachment.html>

>> End of IAEP Digest, Vol 83, Issue 17