[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Planning for the future (Samuel Greenfeld)

Nick Doiron ndoiron at mapmeld.com
Wed Feb 25 16:22:50 EST 2015

I've worked with the project for some time, as a developer, teacher, and
teacher-trainer.

There have been triumphs and setbacks in the past, but I can't escape this
observation: when people have a choice, they choose not to use Sugar.  For
many schools, they have what was donated and there is no choice. When OLPC
started, Android was an independent concept for a feature phone and not a
choice for anyone. But if members of our community are talking about a
major project in today's world, examine why the wider world isn't using
Sugar at the same level that they adopt other edu-tech, like Scratch. Time
and time again, local teachers are doing everything we ask, and our true
limit is the technology and UX.

As a developer, I have lost track of which of my activities might run on
modern Sugar. I've seen simple UIs and browser-based activities stop
working, not because of shaky code, but because dropdown menus got
deprecated, or browser embedding was switched out with a different library.
There are reasons behind these code changes, like touch-enabled UI, but
were these reasons so real?  At the end of all this continuing development,
when I use an XO-1 in Haiti, I see the same Sugar that we used in 2011, but
with fewer working activities.

I am interested in the future of Sugar in the same way that I'm interested
in the future of television. The next big thing is not a revision of the
old, but something very new, something more attuned to the web and open
source ecosystem as it exists today.

-- Nick Doiron