[Sugar-devel] Planning for the future (Samuel Greenfeld)

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Wed Feb 25 14:20:19 EST 2015

> On February 24, 2015 at 8:55 AM Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> I don't think Sugar Labs has lacked a long-term vision. It has been
> since Day One to provide great tools for learning to children while
> being hardware agnostic. That said, our tactics have been slowly
> evolving as the market itself evolves. We launched Sugar Labs in early
> 2008 when it was clear to some of us in the community that many
> children would have access to computers other than the OLPC XO. We
> wanted to reach those children, and indeed, many Sugar users run it on
> netbooks such as the Intel Classmate. We've also continued to support
> the XO as well. There are ~3 million XOs in the field, most of which
> are still running Sugar as far as I know. (When I was in Nepal last
> year, I saw Sugar running on machines built in 2007, a testament to
> OLPC's hardware team.

It would be interesting to know what version of sugar/OS those XO-1s are
running.

> I am not sure why Sam thinks we need to discount
> those machines or the kids using them.)

I know this is not a sugar issue directly, more of an OLPC issue but since
Fedora F12 the entire i686 platform's userland is being compiled with
-mtune=atom[1] which would use sse[2]. This causes problems for some parts
of sugar[3] now that java[4] is being used more and the XO-1 lacks sse.
Fixing one package that uses sse might fix one issue but this is really a
distro wide setting and other issues may float to the top in other areas.

Just pointing out issues with XO-1s as I see it.

Jerry

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support
2.
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html