[Sugar-devel] XO Infinity?

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Feb 17 21:05:57 EST 2015

Hi,

I am sceptical that the XO market will ever be able to sustain
manufacture of an XO-specific product. I hope and wish I am wrong.
However, I think we need to look for alternatives. Possibly the most
serious impediment to success of the OLPC initiative has been the lack
of laptop available for purchase by a deployment in small quantities.

As Wayan Vota said, 'Would you recommend a new deployment with the XO?'.
My answer would be yes, provided the deployment had a reliable source of
XO laptops for under $200 (and spare parts).
The XO-1 is still viable provided that there is a source of ongoing support.

I must applaud Samuel Greenfeld's initiative to create community builds
of the XO software. As Bernie Innocenti pointed out at the Malaysia
summit, finding a community that can sustain support for the XO builds
going forward is probably the number one problem facing the community.

There are Android tablets on the market which can be purchased with a
case and keyboard:

http://www.sears.com/proscan-7inch-internet-tablet-with-8-gb-and/p-020W006276292001P

Rabi Karmacharya believes we need a minimum 10" screen, the above has 7"
and is quoted at $69.
Is there a comparable device with a 10" screen at 1200x900 or better for
under $100, under 200$?

The CTL Education Chromebook is available for $279
(http://ctl.net/ctl-education-chromebook). Does it offer the
capabilities we need? Can alternate software (such as Fedora/Sugar) be
installed?

Is our future to go away from Fedora/Sugar (Linux/Gnu/Sugar) and to base
our deployments on Android? Does this mean we must abandon our
insistence on open source and open educational resources? Is it possible
to deploy an Android system without access to the internet?

There are currently 200+ educational activities available for Sugar.
Must we give these up? Do we need to reprogram them in javascript?

If we are to continue with Fedora/Sugar, can this software be installed
on Android tablets?

The world's professional programmers are now either (or both)
programming for the javascript/html market or the Java Android market.
Does this mean we need to jump on those bandwagons? Should we shift our

In summary, I believe that the future of the olpc initiative depends on
the skills, commitment, and hard work of the community. I think it very
unlikely that our challenges will be met by a 'magic wand' waved by OLPC
reborn, OLPC Australia, or other agency. It's up to us.

Tony